12 Steps to getting an Interview
1. Have a plan- What do you want to do? Where do you want to work? What are you passionate about? What are your skills? What can you do better than someone else?
2. Make a list of all your jobs & volunteer work, then list what you were responsible for in each position and what you accomplished.
3. If you don’t have experience, volunteer! Everyone loves free labor!
4. Resume (your resume needs to be tailored to each position you apply too and only 1 page).
5. Marketing Plan- Target 30-50 companies in the area that you want to work. Notify everyone that you are looking for a new opportunity. Don’t be shy or embarrassed. Network!!! 70% of all jobs are filled through networking. Be clear in what you are looking for.
6. Create a LinkedIn Profile with a professional picture, keep it consistent with your resume. Your heading needs to say that you are currently pursuing opportunities as an …… (Look at other profiles of professionals in your field).
7. Create business cards with your LinkedIn address on it, your new title and your skills.
8. Network with companies, groups, friends, alumni, associations, co-workers, old managers, church, etc. and on LinkedIn. Pick up the phone and start calling.
9. Ask for recommendations on LinkedIn.
10. Update your references & get letters of recommendations.
11. Cover letter- your cover letter needs to be personal and tailored to each job you apply. State when you will follow up and do so!
12. Create a Job Search Productivity Chart. Go after your target companies and track your progress. Most openings aren’t posted to the public. Mail your resume. Getting a job is a FT job!
Post a Comment