Saturday, February 24, 2018
Saturday, January 6, 2018
My favorite work history question(s)
Please tell me about your work history… I would like to know what your expectations are for each job, your responsibilities, what major challenges you faced, what were the results, your greatest accomplishments and mistakes, what did you enjoy the most and least, what each supervisor was like, what would you guess each supervisor would say are your strengths and shortcomings, and finally what were the circumstances under which you left each position?
Thursday, August 3, 2017
Saturday, July 15, 2017
Job Hunting is like Baseball
1. When you get a qualified job lead, you’re on first base.
2. When you secure an interview, you’re on second base.
3. When you “ace” the interview, you’re on third base.
4. When you get a written job offer, you’ve crossed home plate.
In getting a written job offer, as in baseball, you must touch all the bases to score.
Sunday, July 2, 2017
Three types of Interview Questions:
1. Behavioral Based- The best predictor of future performance is past behavior. Ex. Tell me about a time when……? You need to be able to tell a story of your past accomplishment.
a. Situation/ Task
b. Action (that you took)
2. Situational Based- What would you do if….? If you have a story/ example, then use the STAR method from above. Otherwise, you need to talk about the steps you would take. Ex. The first step I would take would be…. The second….. all the way to 4-5 steps with your recommendation as step 4 or 5.
3. Resume Based- Walk me through your resume or It says on your resume that you accomplished X, please explain.
Monday, May 15, 2017
Traits of a Successful Job Candidate
· They know who they are and what type of work they want to do.
· They tailor their cover letter and resume to the positions they are applying to.
· They do their homework on the company prior to the interview.
· They respect everyone they meet.
· They are prepared to answer questions by telling stories on how they solved problems.
· They show passion, confidence, and energy.
· They know until they get a written job offer, it’s all about what they can do for the employer.
· They ask great questions.
· They follow up with e-mails and hand written thank you cards.